How Does Dragon Software Work? Speech Recognition Explained
A magical robot that listens to what you say and types it for you on your computer screen – it sounds a little too good to be true, doesn’t it?
Well, it’s not – that is the world that we live in now!
Having been a Dragon supplier for 25 years, we are often asked “How does Dragon software work?” so instead of you having to ring us to find out, we have written it down for you.
Here’s everything you need to know about Dragon speech recognition with as little technical jargon as possible (you are welcome).
What You Need to Get Started with Dragon
- Your Dragon license
- A microphone: either a headset or hand-held microphone (that’s up to you!)
- Your computer: it has to be a Windows PC
- A Dragon Premier Partner on speed dial to ask any questions and provide training *cough cough*
How Does Dragon Software Work?
Ok, so now you have all of your equipment, let’s look at how the software itself works.
Dragon works by listening to you speak and using artificial intelligence to transcribe the words on your behalf. This could be into Microsoft Word, a web application or your email provider – that’s up to you.
Your license learns your voice pattern and nuances so it is completely tailored to you. This, in turn, improves the accuracy the more you use it. This is why Nuance supplies Dragon per user – sharing a license will negatively affect the accuracy!
It really is as simple as speaking into your computer and the words appear in real time.
To get slightly technical for a moment, Dragon draws upon its server or cloud hosting to access your voice profile making it completely secure and GDPR compliant.
Check out our short demo video:
We’ve covered the basics of how Dragon works, but we’ve barely touched the surface when it comes to its potential.
Dragon’s features are what sets it aside from any other speech recognition provider so we thought we’d tell you a little bit about the best ones.
- Voice commands: Spoken words or phrases that prompt Dragon to complete a specific action i.e. “Scratch That”. Download our free command cheat sheet here.
- Auto-Text: Custom-created voice commands that insert a specifically designed and formatted bit of text i.e. a letter template. Watch auto-text in action in this demo video.
- The Dictation Box: Designed as a workaround for using Dragon in applications that aren’t fully supported. Watch how it works here.
Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of how Dragon software works and I’m sure you’ll now see why so many organisations are investing in it.
As mentioned at the start of this post, having the support of an expert and taking Dragon training is key to utilising the software and its incredibly helpful features.
If you’d like to try Dragon, we are offering a 7-day free trial.